Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Oh No, Not Again....

Earlier today, the following statement was released from the office of the archbishop of Chicago, Cardinal Francis George, OMI:

“Tomorrow morning I will undergo surgery at Loyola University Medical Center to remove cancer discovered very recently in my bladder. I am informed that I can expect to make a full recovery from this cancer and the surgery to remove it. I have asked my doctors and Archdiocesan officials to fully brief you after the surgery on the specifics of the operation and my recovery. During my recovery and absence, Father John Canary, the Vicar General, will provide day to day governance of the Archdiocese. He and the Auxiliary Bishops and Mr. Jimmy Lago, the Chancellor, will be in contact with me as necessary.

"I ask my fellow priests, the religious, all Catholics in the Archdiocese and other friends and colleagues to pray for me. I trust that the Lord will give me the strength and grace I need during these next days and weeks.”

Word from Chicago is that the surgery has been scheduled for 7am tomorrow, local time. The diagnosis was made last week and the cardinal's auxiliary bishops, other close collaborators, family and friends were notified shortly thereafter. This morning, the USCCB vice-president said Mass with his auxiliaries, during which he was given the Sacrament of the Sick.

In his own statement, Bishop Edward Braxton of Belleville -- a Chicago native -- relates that George told him "it is all in God's hands now."

-30-